Mountain Justice, Rainforest Action Network and Energy Justice Network are again calling for rallies in every city where the EPA has an office. This is our third national action, following up on ones in June and August.
At that time the agency, in response to an letter from WV Congressman Nick Rahall had rubber stamped 42 out of 48 of the permits issued by the Army Corps of Engineers to blow up mountains in Appalachia for thin seams of coal. Since then, the EPA has put a hold on 79 nine more, 23 in WV and others in KY, TN and OH.
We’re glad the EPA has taken this action and we need for the agency to do more: right now, it is only reviewing those permits, not overruling the Corps. And Lisa Jackson, the agency’s chief has yet to accept our office to come to the region and see exactly what is being destroyed.
The objectives of protest at the EPA office are:
1. To communicate to the staff and new officials at the EPA that they have a problem. That there will be no end of protest, calls and political pressure until they take real action.
2. To introduce the new staff to the issue of strip mining practices like Mountain Top Removal.
3. To communicate to the Obama administration through the EPA officials that coal is more than just destructive to the air we breath and the climate, but it has a real cost in the coal fields of Appalachia–and that we are not going to be ignored.
We need bottom liners and other who will attend a rally in each of the 11 cities.
|*There is a carpool leaving from Laurel High School, 1539 Laurel Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37919 at 7:45 a.m.|
Here’s how you can join:
- Find a political or financial decision-maker near you
- Register your action now at www.dirtymoney.org
- Download a toolkit at www.dirtymoney.org
- Contact us for support. We can send you materials, as well as help you brainstorm potential actions.
RAN at dirtymoney at ran.org, Energy Justice Network at fossilfuels at energyjusticenetwork.net
and Mountain Justice.
- Use our facebook invite at: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=186840576112
- Get your group to endorse the Day of Action
Endorsed by Climate Ground Zero, Coal River Mountain Watch, Greenpeace and Rising Tide North America
Energy Justice Network:
Use this link or send a check to our 501-3c umbrella
Action Center Inc.
1434 Elbridge St
Philadelphia PA 19149
Use the Donate (paypal) button on this site or send a check to:
PO Box 86
Naoma, WV 25140
To find your epa regional office: